Use paragraph styles to control page breaks, frame breaks, spanning and splitting, line breaks, and hyphenation.
- [Instructor] This movie is about using styles…to control the flow of text.…I cover this topic in much more detail…in my InDesign Typography Part 2 course…here on LinkedIn Learning.…But here's an overview…going from macro to micro,…starting with page breaks.…So, when you want a chapter…to always begin on a new page,…possibly even a new left page,…or a new right page,…then we need to use our keep options.…I'm going to come and edit the chapter number style.…
I'll right click on this, choose Edit,…come to Keep Options,…and what I'm after is this option right here,…Start Paragraph, and I'm going to choose On Next Page.…Now, we see that all of our chapters…start on a fresh page.…Moving now to frame and column breaks,…which are very similar.…I have this catalog example,…and all of this text is threaded.…It's one story.…
If I press Command + A, you see all of the text is selected.…And what is moving each of the items…to a new frame, is the Keep Option…that is part of the paragraph style.…If I edit this paragraph style,…Keep Options, and if that was set…
- Creating, applying, and redefining paragraph and character styles
- Using Quick Apply to apply styles
- Using GREP styles to automate text formatting
- Controlling text flow with styles
- Organizing content with paragraph rules and paragraph shading
- Creating, applying, and redefining object styles
- Applying styles with Find/Change
- Mapping Word styles to InDesign styles
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner6h 43m Beginner
InDesign: Designing Templateswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
Accelerated Design with Comp CC and InDesignwith Tony Harmer1h 37m Intermediate
1. Paragraph and Character Styles Basics
2. Chapter Botched on Import
3. Advanced Text Styles
5. Object Styles
6. Table and Cell Styles
7. Other Uses of Styles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.