- Instead of or in addition to the controller that is automatically added to a video by InDesign, you might wish to control a video by buttons that you create. In particular, this is really useful for giving users direct access to certain bookmarked locations in the video. These locations are called navigation points. Open the exercise files folder and open O6_O3_video_begin. Select the video and open the Media panel. Play the video and pause it at about the 20 second mark.
If it's not already flipped open, click on the little triangle to twirl open Navigation Points. We want to add a new navigation point at this point in the video. Click on the plus icon and name this navigation point Koppy Copy because that's what the video is referring to at that point and time. Then click the Play icon again at the top and pause it again at about the 28 second mark. Click on the plus icon again and let's call this navigation point Tim Turboler.
Then one more. Play the video again and pause it at about the 37 second mark. Add a navigation point here and call this one Curly Salon. Now that you've added three navigation points, you can close the Media panel. Now, we're going to create three buttons that point to those navigation points. So, draw a clear rectangle over the Koppy Copy text here on the right side. In the Buttons and Forms panel, add an action that's a video action.
Then in the options below, tell it that you want to play from navigation point and choose the Koppy Copy navigation point. Now all you need to do is go back to your selection tool, Option or ALT, drag that button on top of the other two pieces of text here, and then select the second one and add the video action and tell it you want to play from navigation point and you want the navigation point Tim Turboler. Select the third one, do the same thing.
Video action, play from navigation point, curly salon. If you preview that in the EPUB Interactivity panel, you should see that when you click on Koppy Copy, it jumps right to that point in the video and starts playing. If you click on Tim Turboler, it brings you to his section. Likewise for Curly Salon. This underutilized feature of InDesign is really useful. For example, you could provide fast, indexed access to specific portions of a long training video or to key points being made during a politician's speech.
- Creating animated navigation buttons
- Building interactive slideshows
- Creating reveal buttons
- Adding multiple choice and branching quizzes
- Creating a scrolling panorama
- Embedding video
- Creating buttons to send email