Several useful techniques for effectively combining typefaces
- [Voiceover] Choosing a typeface is one thing,…but once you've made your choice,…how can you ensure it plays nicely with others?…In this movie, I'll talk about some…tried and tested formulas for combining typefaces.…Firstly, and this principle goes a long way,…keep it simple.…Don't use too many typefaces in the same document.…Avoid combining typefaces that are just too similar.…Here I'm combining two sans serif typefaces…that are similar enough to create a discord,…but not dissimilar enough to create contrast.…
In a similar vein, I have two slab serif typefaces,…both with strong personalities and they're competing.…So those are some things that you shouldn't do,…but one formula that always works…and that you see used again and again and again…is to combine sans serif with serif.…Sans serif for the headlines and supporting text…and serif for the body text.…You can also inverse that relationship to good effect.…I'm using that formula here, but I'm really amping up…the contrast by using a contemporary heavy sans serif…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.