Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Checking paragraph and character defaults in InDesign, part of Using Word and InDesign Together.
Sometimes it's the little things that really drive you crazy, and can screw…things up. And one of those is not having the default…paragraph and character style selected in InDesign before you start bringing text in.…It's a habit that you need to get into. Very often, you'll bring in Word text, or…start typing, yourself. Like I'll do right now, into a document.…And there's something immediately wrong with the type.…So here, I'm dragging out a text frame, let me zoom in a bit and start typing.…Can you see what's wrong with this type? It's in Hobo.…
I don't think InDesign has a default Hobo style.…What's happening? It should be Basic paragraph.…If I open up the paragraph styles panel, there's a plus symbol after that.…That is something you never want to see. You don't want to see an override applied…to Basic paragraph. And you can see the problem's that hobo…has suddenly become the default font even though Basic paragraph is the default style.…We have an override. So how can this happen and how do you get…
- Understanding the differences between InDesign and Word styles
- Identifying which formatting attributes transfer and which don't
- Controlling text formatting when cutting and pasting
- Placing Word files in InDesign with the Import Options dialog box
- Linking to Word files for automatic updating
- Working with footnotes, hyperlinks, and tracked changes
- Learning best practices for fixing text formatting
- Extracting embedded images and converting Word art
- Converting local formatting to character styles with free scripts
- Round-tripping to InDesign RTF to clear out file corruption
- Syncing Google Docs with InDesign via DocsFlow
- Converting Word docs to InCopy for fast and accurate formatting
Skill Level Intermediate
1. InDesign and Word Formatting Essentials
2. Best Practices for Getting Word Text into InDesign
3. Importing Other Word Elements into InDesign
4. Fixing Common Problems with Imported Word Text
5. Troubleshooting and Repairing Word Files
6. Exploring Alternatives to Word-Only Editorial Design Workflows
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.