Join Keith Gilbert for an in-depth discussion in this video Check for an insertion point, part of InDesign Scripting Made Easy.
- The first thing that we want this script to do…is to verify that we have an insertion point,…in other words, a flashing text cursor.…Start by opening the Globe Bank's Small Biz Magazine…and Design file.…Then open 08_02 Transpose_begin in the toolkit.…Choose File, Save As…and name the file Transpose.…We will use an if-else statement…to verify our selection.…In InDesign's object model,…a selection is always a list of items,…also known as an array.…
Even if only one item is selected,…we still need to address it as a list.…So, to assign the first object…in the current selection to a variable,…type var mySelection…= app.selection…Every InDesign object has a constructor name.…This constructor name will tell us…what kind of thing is selected.…So we'll type…if (mySelection.constructor.name==…"InsertionPoint")…followed by an opening bracket,…and then a return, and then a closing bracket.…
Now, how did I know that the constructor name…that we're looking for is InsertionPoint…and that it's capitalized and spelled as such?…
- What are InDesign scripts?
- Installing scripts
- Editing scripts
- Referencing InDesign objects in scripts
- Creating a script to set preferences
- Creating a script to watermark designs
- Creating a script to transpose characters
Skill Level Beginner
Layout and Composition with InDesignwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
Using Word and InDesign Togetherwith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
1. Get Started
2. Find and Install Scripts
3. Edit a Script
5. Reference InDesign Objects with a Script
6. Create a Script to Configure Preferences and Defaults
7. Create a Script to Add Document Watermarks
8. Create a Script to Transpose Two Characters
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.