The strengths and shortcomings of center alignment and its implications for type color (density)
- [Voiceover] Center alignment, which you can get to either…by coming to your paragraph formatting controls…and clicking on the align center icon…or by using the keyboard shortcut…Command + Shift + C or Control + Shift + C…assigns the extra space on the line…equally to the left and right.…When done right, centering can be formal and classical.…When chosen as the fallback option,…as it is here on the left-hand side,…it can make a layout look static or generic.…
Centering works best with single lines or short paragraphs.…Centering long paragraphs means that every line…has a different starting point,…and this make the text less readable.…There's no reason why centered type can't look good,…but be prepared to add forced line breaks,…that's a Shift + Return,…to create an interesting shape with the text.…The line breaks should enhance the meaning of the text,…as well as emphasis its central axis.…
It should be obvious to the reader that the text is centered…and not badly justified.…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.