Join Kevin Callahan for an in-depth discussion in this video CSS: The style sheet, part of Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks for the Kindle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- A CSS for any book contains stylistic directions…such as font choice and size,…colors, and image size.…The CSS for a Kindle fixed layout book…includes more: image and text positioning,…reader magnification, and pop-up design.…Let's look at a sample CSS from the Red Hen.…At the very top is what's called…a CSS reset.…This lives at the top of every CSS page…in a fixed layout book.…It never has to change.…And what a reset does, it nullifies what any browser…or e-reader wants to do to a set of CSS.…
For example, some e-readers like to center heads…while what you want is a flush left head,…and what the reset does,…it puts everything at a level playing field,…at an even starting point so that your CSS…can take precedence over whatever else…another reader might want to do.…Now that doesn't always happen faithfully…throughout the e-book reading universe.…Some devices are really control freaks…and do what they want anyhow,…but it's a good way to start out…with best intentions.…Following that, we do image positions,…and this is where images are placed…
- What is a fixed-layout ebook?
- Good candidates for fixed layout
- Comparing the Kindle format to EPUB3
- Managing fonts
- Inserting images
- Using the Kindle Previewer
- Exporting InDesign documents for Kindle formatting
- Working with the Kindle fixed-layout template
- Using media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout Format
2. Comparing the Kindle Fixed-Layout File Structure to EPUB3
3. Preparing an InDesign Document for Export
4. Working with the Kindle Fixed-Layout Template
5. Designing Region Magnification (Pop-Ups)
6. Using Kindle Previewer to Create Your Fixed-Layout Ebook
Using Kindle Previewer5m 29s
7. Bonus Kindle Features
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.