Learn about breaking the grid with cut out images in Adobe InDesign.
- We could use cut-out or isolated images to help … break up the rectangular nature of our grid. … Here I have a stock image against a white background. … I'll select it's frame, come to the object menu, … and choosing clipping path, options, … and for the type, I'll choose detect edges. … Turn on the preview. … Then you can see that that will create a … pen path around the object itself. … I can now come to my text wrap panel … and choose wrap around object shape. … And the contour options are same as clipping. … The clipping path I just made. … And I'll want to set the off-set to the … value of my body text lettering. … In this case, 12 points. … So we see that just by adding a … small picture with an irregular shape, … we introduce some playfulness into the composition, … breaking up the rectangular nature of the grid. … Now the clipping path option worked in this case … because the image is against a white background. … If that's not the case, … then you will need to take the image …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.