Learn how to use the Break Link to Style option and when to do so.
- [Instructor] This movie is about…the break link to style option.…This removes the style from a paragraph,…but retains the formats of that paragraph.…It's useful if you have text with local formatting…or overrides that you don't want to be affected…by an edit to the parent style.…So in this example I have these three text frames…that are all actually in the body style with overrides.…If I come and make a change to the body style,…by right-clicking on the style name,…and let's do something drastic like split the column,…then you'll see that that has an undesired knock-on effect…to all of the paragraphs that are based on that.…
So I'm going to undo that and with these frames selected,…I'm going to come to the paragraph styles panel menu…and choose break link to style.…Now the designation is no styles.…So any change I make to the body style…will not affect these paragraphs.…A better option might be to define each of these…as paragraph styles in their own right.…But since they are one of total treatments,…this break link to style option is a viable one.…
- Creating, applying, and redefining paragraph and character styles
- Using Quick Apply to apply styles
- Using GREP styles to automate text formatting
- Controlling text flow with styles
- Organizing content with paragraph rules and paragraph shading
- Creating, applying, and redefining object styles
- Applying styles with Find/Change
- Mapping Word styles to InDesign styles
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign: Designing Templateswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
Accelerated Design with Comp CC and InDesignwith Tony Harmer1h 37m Intermediate
InDesign CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner6h 43m Beginner
1. Paragraph and Character Styles Basics
2. Managing Styles
3. Advanced Text Styles
5. Object Styles
6. Table and Cell Styles
7. Other Uses of Styles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.