Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Baseline shift, part of InDesign Typography Part 1.
- [Voiceover] Baseline shift is an often misunderstood…and often misused feature.…I see it used by people to move lines…or even whole paragraphs up relative to their baseline…and that's not what it's intended for.…Instead, baseline shift should be used…to just move a single character or a couple of characters…relative to the baseline of the other characters…on that line.…I'll start with this example…by zooming in to the left portion of the page,…Command Space Bar, click and drag.…
So the finished version is this one below…where the brackets visually surround the word BASELINE.…Now that doesn't happen in this typeface…because it's a non-OpenType Pro typeface.…In OpenType Pro typefaces, the position shifting…may happen automatically.…But if it doesn't, we have to do it manually.…So I'll select that left bracket,…come to my Baseline Shift and nudge it up.…And I'm gonna go up by four points.…
I can also use a keyboard shortcut for my baseline shift.…It's opt shift up arrow.…And if I want to move in smaller increments,…
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Layout and Composition with InDesignwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.