How to incorporate GREP styles into a paragraph style to apply character styles to identifiable patterns of text.
- [Instructor] Nested styles allow you to apply formatting…to patterns within a paragraph when that pattern occurs…at the beginning or less likely, at the end of a paragraph.…But what if you want to apply formatting to particular text…within a paragraph when the position of that text varies?…That's where a GREP style come in.…I have three examples.…Firstly, using a GREP style…to automatically format fractions.…Note, for this to work, you need to be using…an OpenType font that includes real fractions.…
So if you have such a font, when you type in the fraction…if you select it and assuming you're using…a more recent version of InDesign,…you get the option of choosing the real fraction.…Now that's an improvement, but it's still manual.…We want to automate this.…So I'm going to edit the fraction paragraph style.…And I'm going to come to my GREP Styles, New GREP Style…and I'm going to apply a fraction character style.…Let me just show you what that's all about.…
I'll call it fraction1.…OpenType features, we just have this option checked.…
- Creating, applying, and redefining paragraph and character styles
- Using Quick Apply to apply styles
- Using GREP styles to automate text formatting
- Controlling text flow with styles
- Organizing content with paragraph rules and paragraph shading
- Creating, applying, and redefining object styles
- Applying styles with Find/Change
- Mapping Word styles to InDesign styles
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign: Designing Templateswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
Accelerated Design with Comp CC and InDesignwith Tony Harmer1h 37m Intermediate
InDesign CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner6h 43m Beginner
1. Paragraph and Character Styles Basics
2. Managing Styles
3. Advanced Text Styles
5. Object Styles
6. Table and Cell Styles
7. Other Uses of Styles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.