How to use auto-size text frames and some scenarios when they are particularly useful
- [Voiceover] If you've used InDesign for any length of time…you've doubtless run into the problem of text…falling out of text frames…or text becoming too big for the text frames.…Auto size text frames goes a long way towards…addressing that problem.…So first of all, this is the problem.…I'm going to zoom in Command + space bar, click and drag…top corner of that page, choose my type tool,…and I'll just click and drag to make a text frame…and then let's just type some text in there.…
Command + A to select it all…Command + Shift + > to increase the size of the text…and when the text becomes too big for the frame,…we see the red plus, indicating overset text.…For certain types of text frame,…we can set them to be auto size…and that's what I've done here.…So the pull quote, for example, is set…to auto size from the top…and this is how it will work.…If I put my cursor in there…and I can add more text…and you can see that the text frame is growing.…
And in the case of this caption,…because I want the bottom of the caption aligned…
To get the most from this course, make sure to watch InDesign Typography Part 1.
- Text flow and text threading
- Placeholders and text frames
- Type alignment
- Indents, insets, and spacing
- Bullet and numbered lists
- Text wrap
- Formatting with styles
- Hyphenation and line breaks
- Combining typefaces
- White space and grids
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Text Flow
3. Indents, Insets, and Spacing
4. Typical Formatting Scenarios
5. Global Formatting with Styles
6. Controlling Text
7. Design Considerations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.