Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Starting with only a Word document, part of Learning InDesign CC 2015: EPUBs.
- In most of these videos we begin with the presumption…that you have an existing InDesign layout,…a publication that you've created for print or PDF,…but many times you don't have something like that.…Many times you're starting with a Word file.…An author gives that to you and says, "Make me an Ebook."…What do you do then?…Well, pretty simple really.…You don't want to create an EPUB from Word, first of all.…Here is an example of a Word document for their Crusoe book,…and the author has added text, and applied some Styles,…and imported some of the images.…
This is typical of what you get from an author.…Word cannot export or save as EPUB.…It can create an HTML file out of this,…and if you feel like working on that HTML file…for a couple months to turn that into an EPUB have at it.…But because you have InDesign…you have a much better solution.…I'm gonna close the Word file and jump to InDesign.…All you need to do is create an InDesign file…and import that Word file into it.…You don't need to worry about…making it look beautiful for print,…
- Choosing between fixed-layout and reflowable EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Working with book files and Word documents
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Mapping text styles
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to other formats
Skill Level Beginner
InDesign CC 2013 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner9h 30m Beginner
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Understanding the EPUB Export Options Dialog Box
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
9. Keeping Up with the Field
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.