Join Nigel French for an in-depth discussion in this video Adjusting word spacing, part of InDesign: Typography Part 1.
- [Voiceover] As an alternative to tracking,…which will adjust the space between the letters…and the words there is also the option to adjust…only the word spacing.…And provided you have enough words on the line this can…sometimes be a viable alternative when working with…headlines that you want to tighten up.…Let me zoom in here, Command + Space Bar…click and drag.…And in the top version I am going to adjust the…word spacing so I'll click in that paragraph…four times and this is an option that is only available…by a keyboard shortcut it is nowhere on the menu…so I have to use the keyboard shortcut,…which is Command + Option + Backspace…and that's going to go a one increment at a time.…
If you want to go in five times that increment…hold down the Shift key as well and when I say increment…I mean whatever is specified in your preferences…units and increments in the kerning and tracking field.…And I've made that the smallest amount possible…one one thousandth of an m.…So Command + Option or Control Alt Backspace…
- Creating a typographic workspace
- Understanding the anatomy and terminology of type
- Choosing typefaces
- Sizing and scaling type
- Formatting characters
- Adjusting leading (aka line spacing)
- Tracking and kerning
- Using the Glyphs panel
- Adding special characters: dashes, quotes, ellipses, and more
- Using OpenType features like ligatures and fractions
Skill Level Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
InDesign: Layout and Compositionwith Nigel French1h 27m Appropriate for all
1. Choosing and Combining Typefaces
2. Character Formatting
3. Leading (Line Spacing)
4. Letter Spacing, Tracking, and Kerning
5. Small and Important Details
6. OpenType features
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.