Join Kevin Callahan for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding images, part of Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks for the Kindle.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- As we said in an earlier movie,…there are specific requirements…for images in Kindle devices.…We'll run through them again here…and then look at the images for our project…and see how they fit in.…First of all, let's open an image.…Images should be in RGB color space,…not CMYK, not grayscale.…If you have it in one of those other color spaces,…it's not going to display on your device.…So if you run into a situation…where you're not seeing an image,…look first to see if you have it in RGB.…And that's true of any eReader,…any web browser for that matter.…
RGB is the screen reading color space of choice.…Amazon recommends 300 pixels per inch…for all of their images.…And Amazon also recommends…that you double the size…of their largest tablet at the moment.…And that size is 1920 by 1200 pixels,…so doubling that gives us 3840 by 2400 pixels.…But Amazon also has another requirement…that images can only be five megabytes…as a maximum size.…So our images here are rather simple,…so they're not going to go over…the five megabyte limitation.…
- What is a fixed-layout ebook?
- Good candidates for fixed layout
- Comparing the Kindle format to EPUB3
- Managing fonts
- Inserting images
- Using the Kindle Previewer
- Exporting InDesign documents for Kindle formatting
- Working with the Kindle fixed-layout template
- Using media queries
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of the Fixed-Layout Format
2. Comparing the Kindle Fixed-Layout File Structure to EPUB3
3. Preparing an InDesign Document for Export
4. Working with the Kindle Fixed-Layout Template
5. Designing Region Magnification (Pop-Ups)
6. Using Kindle Previewer to Create Your Fixed-Layout Ebook
Using Kindle Previewer5m 29s
7. Bonus Kindle Features
Next steps1m 2s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.