Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding a custom TOC as the first page of the EPUB file, part of InDesign CC 2015: EPUB Fundamentals.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- In an earlier video, we learned…how to create a Device TOC…that is the Table of Contents…that appears after you've exported to EPUB…when you tap a button or choose a menu item…in the ereader,…but what if you also wanted to include…a regular Table of Contents…like the one in this Robinson Crusoe book right here.…This is the one that the designer…created for the print version,…but it should work perfectly well…when we export to EPUB 2.…This is often called an HTML TOC…because it's going to be included in the…actual EPUB book as an HTML file.…
Let's see what happens when we export to EPUB.…I'll press CMD or CTRL E,…and we're going to go right to the desktop.…And it's not this TOC style for EPUB,…it's actually the print one that the designer placed…so the TOC style that you use for your Device TOC…is completely separate and different…than the one that might actually be in the EPUB.…And we'll go ahead and export it.…And take a look.…
We need to go back a bit to find the TOC.…It was before the Preface.…There it is.…So you see that when you have placed…
- Choosing between fixed-layout and reflowable EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Working with book files and Word documents
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Mapping text styles
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to other formats
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Understanding the EPUB Export Options Dialog Box
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
9. Keeping Up with the Field
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.