Join Anne-Marie Concepción for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding alt tags to images and objects, part of InDesign CC 2015: EPUB Fundamentals.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- To ensure that your EPUB is accessible…to people who are using assistive devices…like screen readers to read aloud your EPUB to them,…you need to add alternative text to the images.…For example, in these headshots, if I have a screen reader…reading this aloud or some other kind of device…that helps me understand what the EPUB's about,…when it hits an image, it's just going to say "Image",…or it might say the file name.…But if the developer took care to add alternative text,…which is hidden text that's inside the HTML markup…that describes the image, then the screen reader…will read aloud that description, the alt text.…
This is a well known thing that you do in websites,…but it's also something you wanna do in EPUBs.…Now, by default, when you export to EPUB,…InDesign adds an empty alt text tag, which is disappointing.…I've actually exported this to EPUB already as is,…and opened up the main page…in TextWrangler and highlighted one.…So when there is an image of petalia_jones.jpg,…inside the img class tag that InDesign writes,…
- Choosing between fixed-layout and reflowable EPUB
- Creating an EPUB workspace in InDesign
- Managing the sequence of content
- Creating a table of contents for navigation
- Working with book files and Word documents
- Adding metadata
- Cleaning up text formatting
- Mapping text styles
- Optimizing images for EPUB export
- Exporting to EPUB2 and EPUB3
- Previewing and validating EPUB files
- Converting EPUBs to other formats
Skill Level Beginner
1. Understanding the Nature of EPUBs
2. Setting Up and Testing
3. Preparing the InDesign Publication for EPUB Export
4. Optimizing Text for EPUB Export
5. Optimizing Images for EPUB Export
6. Understanding the EPUB Export Options Dialog Box
7. Previewing and Validating EPUB files
8. Converting the EPUB to Other Ebook Formats
9. Keeping Up with the Field
Next steps3m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.