Learn about the mechanics of working with nested styles.
- [Instructor] Nested styles allow you to…embed, or nest,…character styles inside paragraph styles.…While it's possible to build very complicated…nested styles,…it's usually best to keep them simple.…The most useful nested styles…are those that are easy to set up,…and that you use frequently.…I'm going to come to…my last spread,…and over here, I have a sidebar article.…Let me zoom in on this, Command + Spacebar,…click and drag.…
So, here, I have an example of a nested style.…This is a run-in head,…where the text continues after the head…on the same line.…Without a nested style,…I would need to apply the paragraph formats,…and then come and select…however many words there were in the head…and apply a character style.…With a nested style, I can apply both…formats in one click.…So, I'm going to start…by coming to the Paragraph Styles panel…and deleting this paragraph style,…and setting it back to…sidebar_no_indent,…which is its parent style.…
To recreate it…when everything else about the paragraph…is the way I want it to be,…
- Creating, applying, and redefining paragraph and character styles
- Using Quick Apply to apply styles
- Using GREP styles to automate text formatting
- Controlling text flow with styles
- Organizing content with paragraph rules and paragraph shading
- Creating, applying, and redefining object styles
- Applying styles with Find/Change
- Mapping Word styles to InDesign styles
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC 2017 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner6h 42m Beginner
InDesign: Designing Templateswith Anne-Marie Concepción3h 30m Intermediate
Accelerated Design with Comp CC and InDesignwith Tony Harmer1h 37m Intermediate
1. Paragraph and Character Styles Basics
2. Chapter Botched on Import
3. Advanced Text Styles
5. Object Styles
6. Table and Cell Styles
7. Other Uses of Styles
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.