Learn how to ensure body text and supporting text-align to the same grid in Adobe InDesign.
- [Instructor] Another common challenge … that arises when working with baseline grids … is when you have paragraphs at different sizes … running alongside each other. … As is the case here with body text on the left, … and caption text on the right. … We've seen how we can align the text to the baseline grid, … or how we can not align the text to the baseline grid. … Well, there is a third way, … and that third way is to align only the first line. … If I come and put my cursor in this caption paragraph … and deselect this option, … you see that it is now aligned to the main grid … which in this case is 13.5 points, … and that leading value is disproportionately large … for the size of the type. … So instead, I need this option, … Only Align First Line to the Grid. … That means that the first baseline … will be aligned to the baseline grid, … thereafter, every subsequent line, … will just do its own thing. … But, we can take it further than that, … because we can consider how the leading value of the caption …
- Why grids matter
- Setting up a modular grid
- Determining margins, page size, and aspect ratio
- Creating a baseline grid
- Creating a cap height grid
- Text wraps and grids
- Object styles and grid
- Using the Gridify feature
- Breaking your grid with images
- Shaping text frames
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CC: Designing a Magazine Layoutwith Nigel French1h 51m Intermediate
Graphic Design Foundations: Typographywith Ina Saltz2h 23m Beginner
1. Grids: An Overview
2. Setting Up a Grid
3. Using a Baseline Grid in InDesign
4. Grid-Related InDesign Tools and Features
5. Breaking the Grid
6. Third-Party Grid Tools
Grid Calculator Pro6m 31s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.