Discover how to access special characters from the Glyphs panel and make a custom glyph set.
- [Voiceover] In InDesign, how do you access characters…that are not readily available via the keyboard?…Well, if I make an insertion point in my text…by double clicking with my selection tool…and then switching to the type tool,…we see that under the Type menu we have…Insert Special Character.…On this menu we have a small number of these…Special Character symbols like Copyright, Trademark,…and dashes like Em Dash and En Dash.…
But, beyond these, what you need is the Glyphs Panel.…Now the Glyphs Panel, I formally saved as part of my…Editorial Workspace.…If you don't have your Editorial Workspace open,…you can find the Glyphs Panel under Window,…Type & Tables, Glyphs.…Or under Type, Glyphs.…Just to give me a bit more room,…I'm gonna tear the Glyphs Panel off…and then expand it.…
And I have in it Text Insertion Point…because wherever I double click now,…my Glyph will be inserted at that point in the text.…The Glyphs Panel is a character map of all…of the characters available in your selected Typeface.…You can change the typeface down here.…
Author and designer Nigel French explains how to set up an "editorial workspace" that puts the tools you need most at close reach. He then moves on to selecting and editing text in InDesign: changing case, adding special characters, formatting lists, and inserting breaks. He also shows how to use the Story Editor, Notes, and the Track Changes feature, and explains how InDesign documents are constructed, so that you can edit them with more confidence.
- Opening and saving InDesign documents
- Creating an editorial workspace
- Using guides and nonprinting visual aids
- Selecting and editing text
- Changing case
- Accessing special characters
- Working with bulleted and numbered lists
- Checking spelling
- Working with Notes and Track Changes
- Understanding the underlying structure of an InDesign file
- Controlling text breaks
Skill Level Beginner
InDesign CC 2015 Essential Trainingwith David Blatner9h 34m Beginner
1. The InDesign Environment
2. Editing Text
3. Editorial Panels and Features
4. How InDesign Documents Are Constructed
5. Controlling Text Breaks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.