Join David Blatner for an in-depth discussion in this video 9. IndexMatic, part of InDesign CS4: 10 Free Must-Have Scripts.
Look, I don't know anybody who really enjoys indexing a document. I certainly don't. …It's a boring painful process. So any tool that makes indexing a file…faster and easier gets my big thumbs up, and that's why when I saw these two…scripts from developer Marc Autret I was very excited.…Of course, InDesign has a built-in indexing tool. It's the Index panel, which…you can find under the Window menu, under the Type & Table sub-menu. But in…this case you have to go through and add each phrase one at a time, like choose…Mexican Chocolate and then add that phrase and it brings up a dialog box,…click OK and then it adds it to your panel and that is okay, but it can be really…time-consuming.…
So I'm going to build indexing using the scripting method a little big faster.…So I'll chose that and instead come over to my Scripts panel and look at these…two scripts. The first script I'm going to look at is called IndexBrutal,…because this is the brute force method of building an index. In order to use…
- Merging several text frames into a single story
- Setting keyboard shortcuts for launching scripts
- Turning multi-column text frames into individual frames to manipulate a layout
- Indexing files quickly and efficiently using character styles
- Importing, scaling, and positioning multi-page documents