Join David Blatner for an in-depth discussion in this video 4. Merge Text Frames, part of InDesign CS4: 10 Free Must-Have Scripts.
Each one of the text blocks in this document is a separate text frame.…These are not threaded together. But what if you wanted them threaded together,…what if you wanted this all as one story in one big text frame? Well, it would be a…hassle to thread them together one at a time, especially if you had dozens of…these on a page. Fortunately there is a free script called MergedTextframes_ID.…The ID is there because there is also a Merge TextFrames for Illustrator and…another Merge TextFrames for Flash. All three of those are from a company…called Ajar Productions. Really cool, nice, easy scripts. Here's how it works.…
Select all the frames that you want to be merged together, double-click on it…and it says, how do you want to merge them together, do you want the…bottom-most one to be the first one or do you want the top to be the first one?…You have a lot of options here. I'm going to leave it set to the defaults and click OK.…Now it does not seem to do a very good job or resizing the text frame so I'm…
- Merging several text frames into a single story
- Setting keyboard shortcuts for launching scripts
- Turning multi-column text frames into individual frames to manipulate a layout
- Indexing files quickly and efficiently using character styles
- Importing, scaling, and positioning multi-page documents