Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Using swatches, part of Creating Long Documents with InDesign.
Consistency of design is what holds long documents together and one of the…things that gives them a professionally made quality.…Styles are your tool to ensure consistency in text.…Swatches are your tool for ensuring consistency in colors.…So let's see how they work.…The first step in controlling the colors in your document is to manage them all in…the Swatches panel.…Ideally, there should be no unnamed colors in your documents. Unnamed colors are…ones that are used in the layout but not managed by a swatch.…To rid yourself of unnamed colors, go to the Swatches panel and choose…Add Unnamed Colors, and I can see here that four colors were just added to…the Swatches panel.…
So how do unnamed colors get into documents?…Well, when you mix a color in the Color panel and apply it to a page object…or when you use the eyedropper to sample a color from something like a placed…photo and apply it to a page object, those colors are not automatically made into swatches.…Now, if you're working on a print project and you need to get all your swatches into CMYK,…
- Using text variables
- Creating templates for InDesign, InCopy, and Word
- Employing nested styles
- Creating GREP styles
- Managing color with swatches
- Building page elements with libraries and snippets
- Performing GREP find/changes
- Using InCopy workflows
- Tracking changes
- Adding footnotes and indexes
- Using InDesign book files
- Versioning documents with conditional text or object styles
- Preflighting documents
- Archiving a project
- Finding and installing useful scripts and plug-ins for frequent challenges
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CS5 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPadwith Anne-Marie Concepción5h 31m Intermediate
1. Document Construction
3. Using Styles
4. Building and Revising Layouts
6. Long-Doc Infrastructure
8. Working With InDesign Books
9. Customizing Long Documents
10. Outputting Long Documents
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.