Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Word templates, part of Creating Long Documents with InDesign.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Microsoft Word is an application that some InDesign users love to hate.…There are good alternatives to Word, like InCopy for example, but there's no…getting around Word in some long document workflows.…Word has been around for a long time.…It's ubiquitous, it's laden with features and idiosyncrasies, and it does not…always play well with InDesign.…Sometimes painstakingly crafted Word files fail to import into InDesign or the…import works, but it produces strange or usable results, and so some users get…frustrated and strip out all the formatting the Word user put into the file,…and pretty much start from scratch.…
Well, that is a valid approach, but another potentially more efficient way…is to create a simple RTF document that will serve as a stable, clean template for writers.…The idea is to setup and test this file so that when it comes back to you…with real content in it,…you'll have a minimum of headaches and work to do.…So here I have my InDesign file created for my template and I've added some…
- Using text variables
- Creating templates for InDesign, InCopy, and Word
- Employing nested styles
- Creating GREP styles
- Managing color with swatches
- Building page elements with libraries and snippets
- Performing GREP find/changes
- Using InCopy workflows
- Tracking changes
- Adding footnotes and indexes
- Using InDesign book files
- Versioning documents with conditional text or object styles
- Preflighting documents
- Archiving a project
- Finding and installing useful scripts and plug-ins for frequent challenges
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CS5 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPadwith Anne-Marie Concepción5h 31m Intermediate
1. Document Construction
3. Using Styles
4. Building and Revising Layouts
6. Long-Doc Infrastructure
8. Working With InDesign Books
9. Customizing Long Documents
10. Outputting Long Documents
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.