Join Mike Rankin for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating metadata captions, part of Creating Long Documents with InDesign.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Sometimes you may have to place captions along with images in your documents.…These captions can be created automatically from metadata associated with the image.…Let's see how that works.…The first thing to do when working with captions in InDesign is to configure how…that will be structured.…So we will go to Object > Captions > Caption Setup.…And in the dialog box I can setup text before the caption.…I can choose which piece of metadata will be used for the caption.…In this case I'm using the Description field, but the pop-up menu lists all…kinds of metadata you can choose from. And I can also have text after.…
I can setup a position and a style for the caption, where it will align,…either below or above or to the left or right of an image and how far away…from the image it goes.…And I can set a paragraph style.…In this case, I've set up a paragraph style called Caption already.…I can choose which layer the caption will go on and if it will be grouped with the image.…I will just click Ok.…
- Using text variables
- Creating templates for InDesign, InCopy, and Word
- Employing nested styles
- Creating GREP styles
- Managing color with swatches
- Building page elements with libraries and snippets
- Performing GREP find/changes
- Using InCopy workflows
- Tracking changes
- Adding footnotes and indexes
- Using InDesign book files
- Versioning documents with conditional text or object styles
- Preflighting documents
- Archiving a project
- Finding and installing useful scripts and plug-ins for frequent challenges
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign CS5 to EPUB, Kindle, and iPadwith Anne-Marie Concepción5h 31m Intermediate
1. Document Construction
3. Using Styles
4. Building and Revising Layouts
6. Long-Doc Infrastructure
8. Working With InDesign Books
9. Customizing Long Documents
10. Outputting Long Documents
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.