Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video To sketch or not to sketch?, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
Perhaps one of the most daunting things about using Illustrator is what I call…this blank screen that we start out with.…This is especially true for people who are new to using Illustrator.…For example, when you create a new document,…I will just press Command+N or Ctrl+N to create this document and I will use…my letter size page.…I am actually basing this in my Print profile, but I just want this to be a wide…format, a landscape instead of a portrait view and I'll click OK.…So now I have this page here. It's a blank page.…I've got all these tools in the left side, and we've got all of these panels…in the right side over here, and I have a blank screen and I don't know where to begin.…
If I have a really good idea in my head about what I want to create, I could…start to put some stuff on my page, but usually when you have a blank page…like this, it's just a little bit more difficult to kind of get an idea about…where you want to start.…This is different than other applications, for example Photoshop, where nine…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.