Join Von Glitschka for an in-depth discussion in this video The shape-building method, part of Drawing Vector Graphics (2012).
- The shape-building method is the simple and fast way…to build precise vector shapes using nothing more…than the rectangle tool, ellipse tool,…and the Pathfinder palette.…Instead of manually building our vectors…one anchor point at a time,…we'll let the shape tools do the vector construction for us.…Just like the point-by-point method we'll still use…a tight sketch to build our vector art upon.…We're going to continue building this skull design.…
As you work on any type of design,…you'll use the point-by-point method,…which we demonstrated in the previous movie,…to build this front left-hand side of the skull,…but you'll also use what's called the shape-building method.…You'll actually use both methods in almost every design…you build when it comes to vector artwork.…So I want to demonstrate how I use shape-building…to create the back part of this skull.…Now, any area in any design that is close to geometric shape…is a good candidate to use shape-building techniques.…
This area is so close to being a circular shape…
- What is illustrative design?
- Establishing a creative brief
- Defining client expectations
- Exploring creative thinking exercises
- Art directing your drawing
- Selecting an appropriate style for each project
- Drawing and thumbnail sketching
- Discerning anchor point placement
- Building vector drawings with shapes
- Presenting your illustrations
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 12/01/2015. What changed?
A: We updated 17 movies to reflect changes to the vector drawing workflow in Illustrator CC 2015.
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
Illustrator CS6 Essential Trainingwith Justin Seeley8h 48m Beginner
Insights on Illustrative Designwith Von Glitschka31m 2s Beginner
1. The Process
2. Creative Preparation
3. Drawing Your Design
4. Workflow Enhancements
5. Building Vector Shapes
6. Presenting Your Designs
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.