Learn about why symbols are so important, and how to use them.
- [Instructor] In an earlier movie I had you make symbols…out of the buttons that we were going to use on the shirts.…And in this movie I want to show you why using symbols…is so important and such a time saver.…If you take a close look at this line sheet,…and often times line sheets are pages long,…and garments will have lots and lots of buttons.…Typically things happen in the industry,…the buttons become unavailable…or a designer changes their mind…and wants a different color button,…they were supposed to be dyed to match…but we don't have time to do it,…so now we're using gold or silver.…
So things change. And we want to set up our files…in a way that allows us to make changes really easily.…So we've got this file, it's got all these buttons on it,…it's Friday night at five o'clock…and the designer tells me we are no longer…using white buttons on any of these garments,…they need to be changed to silver.…So what are my options?…Well if I set up my file using symbols, it's an easy fix.…If I didn't, I have to replace every single button…
Robin Schneider—a fashion designer and Otis College of Art and Design instructor—teaches you how to easily master the Pen tool as she walks you through drawing shirts, pants, skirts, and blazers. Learn how to maximize the power of Illustrator with Pathfinder, organize layers for quick and easy editing, and create custom symbol libraries. Plus, get tips and tricks to increase productivity and learn to lay out your designs in presentation-worthy line sheets.
- What is a CAD flat?
- Drawing shapes
- Editing shapes: rotating and joining
- Setting up your workspace
- Using a template
- Drawing shirts and blazers
- Drawing skirts, trousers, and jeans
- Creating symbols for buttons
- Creating professional quality layouts
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop for Fashion Design: Rendering Techniqueswith Robin Schneider4h 52m Appropriate for all
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Light and Shadowwith Will Kemp1h 52m Intermediate
1. Getting Started: The Basics
2. Creating a Start File
3. Drawing a Basic T-Shirt
4. Drawing a Polo Shirt
5. Drawing a Button-Down Shirt
6. Drawing a Blazer
7. Drawing Pants
8. Drawing Skirts
9. Creating Symbols
10. Finishing Touches
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.