Join Von Glitschka for an in-depth discussion in this video Writing a design rationale, part of Drawing Vector Graphics.
- View Offline
As we discussed in the last movie revealing your design is a great way to get an…honest and genuine reaction from your client.…But not every client will be satisfied with that type of approach.…So be prepared to explain why you designed what you designed.…The most effective way to do this is to write a design rationale for each design…direction you've created.…These should always be provided after a reveal either in person or via e-mail.…
A design rationale is nothing more than selling a vision to your client.…What is the message of the design? What does the design communicate?…Be positive when you write these.…You want your client to capture the vision and see the possibilities your design provides.…Here's a design rationale I used on one of my projects.…This was a brand character design I created for a tech company. …My design rationale read like this: Database work doesn't need to be boring.…
It can be fun, creative, and adventurous, enabling the users to go where …no man has gone before.…This brand character reflects that adventurous spirit your service enables.…
- What is illustrative design?
- Establishing a creative brief
- Defining client expectations
- Exploring creative thinking exercises
- Art directing your drawing
- Selecting an appropriate style for each project
- Drawing and thumbnail sketching
- Discerning anchor point placement
- Building vector drawings with shapes
- Presenting your illustrations