Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with open and closed paths, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Now that we have a better understanding of paths inside of Illustrator, let's go…ahead and start drawing some very basic paths.…I'm going to create a new document just by hitting Command+N or Ctrl+N on my…keyboard, or you can go to File > New, and just hit OK to accept the defaults.…Once I get my new document created, I'm ready to start adding some paths.…You can create two types of paths in Illustrator: open and closed.…I'm going to first start off with the closed paths.…In Illustrator there are several built-in shape tools that provide you with closed paths.…They're located right here in the toolbar.…
If you click and hold, you'll see that the closed paths include the Rectangle…tool, the Rounded Rectangle tool, the Ellipse tool, the Polygon tool, the Star…tool, and the Flare tool.…Let's see how some of these work.…I'm just going to grab the Rectangle tool and I'm going to click and drag out…a rectangle like so.…You'll notice this is a closed path, and by closed path I mean there are no open…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.