Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with the data: ranking countries by the components, part of Designing a Data Visualization.
- Now I can see here how they're ranked by HDI, right?…I see the numbers here and I know…that they're ranked by this column.…But what if I want to get how they're ranked…by Life Expectancy, or by Education…or by Income?…I can just sort them here in Excel and see them,…but how do I work with that actual data?…Well, there are a few different ways to do it,…but one of the things I'm gonna do…is I want a list of every country in rank order.…And then I want to get the actual rank values…for those rank orders because in the end…what I really want is I want the difference.…I want to be able to show in my illustration,…all right, here's Norway.…
It's number one in HDI,…but what's its life expectancy rank,…and how much higher or lower is that?…Well, of course, it's going to be lower for Norway.…How much lower is it compared to its HDI rank,…and I'll show you later on how we're gonna use that.…So first let's say I'm gonna create…a column called HDI Rank,…and I'm actually just gonna copy…all of the countries and drop 'em in there.…
The UN Human Development Index used in this course is a perfect example: a composite number used to rank countries on how well they're doing across a range of measures (such as health, wealth, and education). Instructor Bill Shander shows how to make this index data tangible and approachable by imagining the story and visual approach first. He then builds the design in Adobe Illustrator, capitalizing on some automation and scripting abilities the program offers. Start watching for unique insights into the entire data visualization process.
- Working with the data
- Sketching and wireframing your design
- Roughing out the visual design components
- Manually creating the design in Illustrator
- Using Illustrator scripting to improve accuracy, speed, and repeatability
- Designing callout boxes, legends, labels, and more
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Infographics with Illustratorwith Mordy Golding4h 16m Intermediate
1. Getting to the Idea
2. Getting to the Visual Approach
Sketching and wireframing8m 22s
3. Roughing Out the Design Elements
4. Bringing the Visuals to Life
Next steps2m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.