Join Bill Shander for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with the data: getting started, part of Designing a Data Visualization.
- So we have this great spreadsheet from the UN…and it has all kinds of wonderful data in it.…And it has stuff in here,…for instance the Gender Inequality Index,…the Gender Related Development Index,…Multidimensional Poverty Index.…Table after table after table.…Really interesting stuff…but we can't really make a single illustration…to capture all of that.…So as I mentioned earlier,…I'm really gonna focus on just a few things.…I'm gonna focus on the overall Human Development Index,…HDI for each country.…
I'm gonna focus on the three components…that make up the HDI for each country.…Life expectancy, education and income.…I'm gonna focus on the Human Development Index trends,…right, how it's changed over many years.…As well as the Inequality Adjusted Human Development Index.…How does inequality in different countries…affect each country's score and rank.…So, if we just limit it to that,…all I want to do with the spreadsheet first…is really narrow down to the data…to adjust those pieces that I need to work with.…
So, I'm gonna go over here.…
The UN Human Development Index used in this course is a perfect example: a composite number used to rank countries on how well they're doing across a range of measures (such as health, wealth, and education). Instructor Bill Shander shows how to make this index data tangible and approachable by imagining the story and visual approach first. He then builds the design in Adobe Illustrator, capitalizing on some automation and scripting abilities the program offers. Start watching for unique insights into the entire data visualization process.
- Working with the data
- Sketching and wireframing your design
- Roughing out the visual design components
- Manually creating the design in Illustrator
- Using Illustrator scripting to improve accuracy, speed, and repeatability
- Designing callout boxes, legends, labels, and more
Skill Level Intermediate
Creating Infographics with Illustratorwith Mordy Golding4h 16m Intermediate
1. Getting to the Idea
2. Getting to the Visual Approach
Sketching and wireframing8m 22s
3. Roughing Out the Design Elements
4. Bringing the Visuals to Life
Next steps2m 21s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.