Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Working with the Shape Builder tool, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
Up until now, we have been relying on the Pathfinder feature to get our complex…artwork created here inside of Illustrator.…Now I am going to show you a way that's a little bit more visual, and a little…bit more easy to use.…It's called the Shape Builder tool, and it's a great way to create complex…artwork without all the guesswork that's involved with the Pathfinder.…You see, the thing that's a little bit confusing about the Pathfinder is that all…those buttons aren't necessarily descriptive, and people get confused as to what they do.…So people spend time clicking, seeing what it does, undoing, clicking, seeing…what it does, undoing; it's very tedious.…
But using the Shape Builder tool is a great way to visually create shapes, which…probably appeals more to the designer anyway.…I am going to zoom in on these circles in the bottom corner of the page, and…when I zoom in on those, I am going to start using the Shape Builder to interact…with them a little bit.…In order to use the Shape Builder tool, you have to have the path selected that…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.