Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Why the Shape Builder tool was created, part of Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
Up until this point we discuss two main ways to think about building artwork…inside of Illustrator.…The first one is using a set of functions called Pathfinder. We discussed…different things like shape modes, compound shapes and also Pathfinder…functions themselves.…Then we discussed this world of Live Paint.…Live Paint allows us to look at our art work visually. We can lay down our path…anywhere that we want, but we can decide to actually fill those paths or apply…attributes like strokes based on how we see them on the screen.…
In this chapter, we're going to focus on a third way to build artwork inside…of Illustrator using a new feature,…it's actually a new tool that was added in Illustrator CS5.…It's called the Shape Builder tool.…But before we discuss the tool itself which by the way it's found right here…inside the Tools panel the Shape Builder tool. Keyboard shortcut for that is…Shift+M. Don't ask me why, but that's I guess one that was available.…So the question really is why was this tool added?…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparencywith Mordy Golding2h 50m Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.