Learn about design considerations and sketching out.
- [Instructor] Although the kind of maps…that we're talking about here in this course…are mainly simplified, we still need to ask…some of the same questions that are asked…by makers of larger complex maps,…such as, who is going to use the map?…What is the purpose of the map?…Where will it be used?…Is it going to be used in print?…Do you know what the final target size is?…Even though you're producing a piece of vector artwork,…you'll still have considerations for the size…and legibility of text included in it.…
If the map is going to be used as part of a digital project,…will it need interactive components?…Or is it going to be included in a motion project…and need to be supplied as a movie?…You'll need to identify the main design considerations,…whatever the intent, and these days,…it's quite likely to be multipurpose.…Once you have answers to these questions,…you need to work out the essential information…that a user can identify to confirm their bearings.…
If you can, when you're making your map,…make the journey yourself with a friend…
- Understanding where your map will be used
- Finding reference material
- Using symbols and masks
- Drawing roads, rivers, buildings, and other landmarks
- Adding type
- Enhancing your map
- Adding interactivity and animation
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Intermediatewith Deke McClelland11h 37m Intermediate
Creating a Map with Illustratorwith William Everhart2h 48m Intermediate
Draw Better and Faster with Illustrator CCwith Deke McClelland1h 52m Appropriate for all
1. Designing a Simplified Map
2. Basic Skills
3. Creating a Simplified Map
4. Enhancing Your Map
5. Interactive Maps
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.