Join John Garrett for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know, part of Adobe Illustrator: Variable Data.
- [Voiceover] For this course you should have a working knowledge of Illustrator. It's also helpful to have access to Microsoft Excel, but if you don't you can follow along with an Excel equivalent program such as Apple Numbers, OpenOffice Calc, NeoOffice Cal, or Google Doc Sheets. If you need to brush up on iIllustrator check out Illustrator CC Essential Training by Justin Seeleyhere on the site.
Designer John Garrett appreciates the many different types of variables and their practical uses, including generating business cards and direct mailers. In this course, he explains how to use variable data including managing linked images, graphics, tables of data, and graphs. He covers the entire workflow, from setup to exporting dynamic batches.
- Setting up Illustrator files
- Using Appearances
- Setting up data sources
- Importing data
- Managing linked variables
- Binding and using prepend paths and presets
- Using the Variables panel
- Naming data sets
- Generating multiple versions with batch exporting
Skill Level Advanced
1. Exploring Variable Data
2. Setting up Illustrator Files
3. Setting up a CSV Document
4. Importing using Variable Importer Script
5. Working with the Variables Panel
6. Exporting and Reviewing
Creating a save action3m 25s
Next steps1m 12s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.