Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video What are symbols?, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
One of my favorite time-saving features inside of Illustrator is to…utilize symbols, and this is something that not a lot of people use, and I'm…really confused as to why.…Basically, symbols allow you to take artwork that you create inside of…Illustrator, and save it for later,…for use in other projects, or whatever else you might be wanting to use it for.…Symbols live in their own panel called the Symbols panel, and so I store things…in the Symbols panel like commonly used logos, different types of icons, and…all kinds of stuff.…In this movie, we'll be taking a look at symbols; where they live, and how they can help us.…
I'll go and create a new document, just so I have something up on screen;…doesn't matter what size, or anything else.…Once I get the new document created, I'm going to go over and find the…Symbols panel, which should be next to your Brushes and Swatches in the…Essentials Workspace.…If you don't see symbols out on your screen, you can go to the Window menu, and…find Symbols, or press Shift+Control+F11 on the PC; Shift+Command+F11 on the Mac.…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.