Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video What is an opacity mask?, part of Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparency.
In Illustrator you may already be familiar with something called a mask and…you're probably familiar with something called a clipping mask.…That's where you can take some artwork and place it within the bounds so that…it's only visible inside of that shape.…However, Illustrator also possesses a far more powerful mask, something…called an opacity mask.…Now before we actually learn how to create these opacity masks, I wanted to take…a moment to first explain what exactly an opacity mask is, what makes it…different than a clipping mask.…
So let's take a look at this example right here with a document that I have open.…It is called opacity_masks.ai.…And on the bottom of my page over here I have these two circles here.…This circle and this circle, which are both masks, and inside of that mask I have an image.…It's the same image of these beautiful morning glories.…Now this shape that's actually being used to create the masks in both of these…examples is this shape over here on top.…If I click on it, it's a regular plain vector object, but it has a Gaussian Blur…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.