Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video What is Illustrator?, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
Adobe Illustrator is used by artists and graphic designers to create scalable vector artwork for use in projects for both print and web. Artists use Illustrator for creating clean visual compositions that can be scaled infinitely without losing quality, creating freehand drawings and illustrations, tracing and re-coloring scanned-in artwork, and also creating wireframes from which to create digital paintings. Designers use Illustrator for creating logos, icons and other complex shapes, setting type for use in flyers, magazines and business cards, and creating web site mockups and graphics for use across multiple screens.
Illustrator isn't just limited to artists and designers though, many people use Illustrator for their projects, and it allows them to create visually compelling and flexible artwork like this. Illustrator also integrates with other Adobe applications like InDesign for print production and digital magazines. Photoshop for use with Smart Filters, Flash for web animations and games or Adobe After Effects and Premiere for use in title sequences and video animation. Whether you're a graphic designer or an artist, Adobe Illustrator offers you a flexible way to deploy your creative vision to virtually any screen or substrate.
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.