Explore some best practice guidelines for symbols and libraries.
- Whenever you've got multiple instances…of a piece of artwork inside of a file,…using symbols makes tons of sense.…You can also combine symbols…with your Creative Cloud Library.…So if it's something you use all the time,…and you use multiples of them in a file,…then just nest them in a Creative Cloud Library.…So what I'm going to do here…is just for way of demonstration,…is to take this small bulb item, here,…which is currently on another layer.…
I'll bring it down onto this middle layer here,…and just lock the topmost layer.…So I'm working entirely in this middle layer,…here, for the moment.…And I'll turn this into a symbol.…So, the quickest way for me to do that, probably here,…is to drag that into the Symbols panel like so.…If I call this bulb, because having a name is a good thing,…and I'll leave it as dynamic,…just in case I want to change any of the colors…in any parts of instances of it later on.…
And actually, while I'm here,…I'll just clean out the stuff…that I don't need in this panel.…So now I've got that particular symbol,…
Watch Tony's companion course, Photoshop for the In-House Designer, to learn time-saving techniques using Photoshop templates, presets, brushes, and more.
- Producing print and digital graphics
- Using artboards, layers, and libraries
- File output formats
- Using Asset Export
- Creating symbols and libraries
- SVG interactivity
- Print production
- Using Illustrator plugins
Skill Level Intermediate
InDesign for the In-House Designerwith Claudia McCue10h 33m Intermediate
Photoshop for the In-House Designerwith Tony Harmer1h 44m Beginner
1. Producing Print Graphics in Illustrator
2. Producing Digital Graphics in Illustrator
3. Basic Print Production in Illustrator
4. Using Plugins
Next steps1m 13s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.