Join Justin Seeley for an in-depth discussion in this video Using prebuilt symbols, part of Illustrator CS6 Essential Training.
When you're working with symbols, you have access to a wide variety of symbol libraries,…and in this movie, I'm going to show you some of those pre-built symbols that you…can utilize inside of your artwork.…I've got a new document open here, and I just did that by going to File > New.…It doesn't matter what type of document you have open; any one will do.…In the bottom left-hand corner of the Symbols panel, which you can open by going…to the Window menu, and choosing Symbols, you'll find this small icon that says…Symbol Libraries Menu when you hover over it.…When you click that, it's going to expand out to show you all of the different…types of symbols that you have.…
They have everything, from 3D symbols, to primitive symbols, all the way down to…one called Sushi, which is really interesting.…You also have some that are pretty useful, like Web Buttons and Bars, and Web…Icons. You may also take a look at some of the ones like Logo Elements, or…Ribbons; it just depends on what type of project you're working on.…
- Understanding vector graphics
- Creating and setting up files for print or web destinations
- Selecting and transforming objects on the page
- Creating spot colors
- Applying fills, strokes, and gradients to artwork
- Adjusting appearances and effects
- Working with anchor points and paths
- Drawing with the Pen tool
- Creating text
- Managing layers
- Creating and using symbols
- Printing, saving, and exporting artwork
Skill Level Beginner
Q: Where can I learn more about graphic design?
A: Discover more on this topic by visiting graphic design on lynda.com.
What is Illustrator?1m 15s
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Documents
3. Selecting and Transforming Objects
4. Working with Color
5. Working with Fills and Strokes
6. Working with Paths
7. Creating Shapes
8. Don't Be Afraid of the Pen Tool
9. Using Type in Illustrator
10. Adjusting Appearance
11. Working with Layers
12. Working with Images
13. Creating and Using Symbols
14. Drawing in Perspective
15. Printing, Saving, and Exporting
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.