Join Von Glitschka for an in-depth discussion in this video Using layers, part of Drawing Vector Graphics (2012).
- Using layers in Illustrator…is just a good creative habit.…When you compose and create your designs and illustrations,…using layers is going to allow you more flexibility…to edit and control your visual…than if you don't use layers at all.…And I'm surprised at how many designers…don't organize with layers.…They'll build everything on one layer,…I get the file, and it is an exercise in futility…to try to deconstruct it at times and use the artwork.…
So, I want you to get in the habit of using layers.…I'm going to demonstrate why I use layers…and how it can help you compose…a very complex kind of visual,…in this case, an illustration that I created.…I was invited to speak back East at a advertising school.…They wanted me to put together a talk on creativity…and I said, "Well, what's the theme?…"What do you want me to create for the poster?"…And they said, "Do whatever you want."…So, of course, I did an evil clown…because I thought that would be fun.…
And this was my sketch for that character.…It's a symmetric illustration,…
- What is illustrative design?
- Establishing a creative brief
- Defining client expectations
- Exploring creative thinking exercises
- Art directing your drawing
- Selecting an appropriate style for each project
- Drawing and thumbnail sketching
- Discerning anchor point placement
- Building vector drawings with shapes
- Presenting your illustrations
Skill Level Intermediate
Q: This course was updated on 12/01/2015. What changed?
A: We updated 17 movies to reflect changes to the vector drawing workflow in Illustrator CC 2015.
Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Toolwith Mordy Golding4h 39m Intermediate
Illustrator CS6 Essential Trainingwith Justin Seeley8h 48m Beginner
Insights on Illustrative Designwith Von Glitschka31m 2s Beginner
1. The Process
2. Creative Preparation
3. Drawing Your Design
4. Workflow Enhancements
5. Building Vector Shapes
6. Presenting Your Designs
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.