Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Using a gradient as an opacity mask, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
Let's see how we can use an opacity mask to create an effect that is used quite…often these days, something like a reflection.…I'm looking at this file right here called reflection.ai and I have a flowerpot…on a black background.…And what I've done here in this file also is I've actually created a copy of…the flowerpot and I've flipped it so that I now see an upside-down copy of it right here.…So I have this flowerpot right here and I'm going to be using this flowerpot…right here as reflection.…Now obviously right now it's too strong.…I want that reflection to kind of fade out as it goes down, but I need to use an…opacity mask to make that happen.…
Now first let's understand what I'm going to be using as my opacity mask.…The answer is in this case a gradient.…I want to create a gradient that's going to go from black to white and I'll use…those values as an opacity mask for the upside-down flowerpot.…Let's see how that's going to work.…I'm going to start out by taking my regular Rectangle tool.…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.