Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Using a complex appearance as an opacity mask, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Seeing Through Transparency.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In illustrator we have the ability to create these complex appearances.…For example, we can take a single object but apply multiple fills and multiple…effects to it to change its appearance.…However, the underlying vector path doesn't change at all.…Now if we think about it, when we create a regular clipping mask inside of…Illustrator, that underlying vector path, that structure of the artwork, acts as the mask.…However, when we actually use an opacity mask inside of Illustrator, we don't…care about the structure we care about the presentation of that path.…
So for example, if we do add multiple fills or multiple effects we can use that…as our mask when using an opacity mask.…Let's see an example of that by applying some interesting effects inside…of illustrator, specifically the Scribble effect to create some…interesting texture.…So I want to actually create some nice kind of masks for this and I'm going to…work on the file right here.…It's called texture.ai.…It has the morning glories image here in the background, which is embedded…
- Understanding how transparency works across the Adobe applications
- Deconstructing the Transparency panel
- Adding transparency to gradients
- Understanding how overprints and knockouts work
- Using a gradient or complex appearance as an opacity mask
- The rules of transparency flattening
- Working with complex regions
- Understanding the relationship between flattening and stacking order
- Creating and sharing flattener presets
- Saving PDF files and using the PDF/X standards
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
1. Core Transparency Concepts
2. Applying Transparency
3. Using Opacity Masks
4. Transparency Flattening
5. Establishing a Safe Workflow
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.