- View Offline
- What are symbols?
- Creating your own symbols
- Saving and loading symbol libraries
- Modifying registration points
- Working with nested symbols
- Using 9-slice scaling
- Resizing symbols in a set
- Adjusting symbol transparency
- Mapping symbols to artwork
Skill Level Intermediate
- [Voiceover] Hello! My name is Justin Seeley and I'm a staff author here at Lynda.com. Thanks for checking out this course on using symbols in Adobe Illustrator. I'm going to start off slow with some core concepts like what symbols are and how you can use them to do some really cool stuff in your design workflow. From there we're going to take a look at using the symbol tools where you'll learn how to manipulate symbol sets using things like the symbol sprayer, symbol shifter tool, and symbol spinner tools. The last part of this course focuses on using symbols in the real world.
I'll walk you through my personal workflow for things like creating master page elements that easily allow you to edit and update artwork in multiple places at once, developing product mock-ups using Illustrator's built-in 3D tools, and finally we'll take a look at using symbols to create UI prototypes for apps and websites as well. If you're ready, let's go ahead and get started using symbols in Adobe Illustrator.