Using Symbols in Illustrator
Illustrator symbols can save designers a ton of time. They allow you to reuse pieces of artwork and update all the instances where you've used it all at once. And, as Justin Seeley explains, they also happen to reduce your document's file size. Follow along with Justin in this course as he shows you how to create your own symbols, save them to libraries, and make changes to symbols and their instances. You'll learn to scale, nest, resize, colorize, and even randomize the symbols in your documents. Plus, get three different practical uses for symbols: a simulated "master page" like you'd find in Adobe InDesign, a product mockup, and a website prototype.
- What are symbols?
- Creating your own symbols
- Saving and loading symbol libraries
- Modifying registration points
- Working with nested symbols
- Using 9-slice scaling
- Resizing symbols in a set
- Adjusting symbol transparency
- Mapping symbols to artwork
- [Voiceover] Hello! My name is Justin Seeley and I'm a staff author here at Lynda.com. Thanks for checking out this course on using symbols in Adobe Illustrator. I'm going to start off slow with some core concepts like what symbols are and how you can use them to do some really cool stuff in your design workflow. From there we're going to take a look at using the symbol tools where you'll learn how to manipulate symbol sets using things like the symbol sprayer, symbol shifter tool, and symbol spinner tools. The last part of this course focuses on using symbols in the real world.
I'll walk you through my personal workflow for things like creating master page elements that easily allow you to edit and update artwork in multiple places at once, developing product mock-ups using Illustrator's built-in 3D tools, and finally we'll take a look at using symbols to create UI prototypes for apps and websites as well. If you're ready, let's go ahead and get started using symbols in Adobe Illustrator.
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artwork187,371 Views
Illustrator Insider Training: Rethinking the Essentials423,701 Views
Artistic Painting with Illustrator: Object-Creation Brushes71,308 Views
Designing Gradient Dot Patterns with Illustrator34,234 Views
Illustrator Insider Training: Type and Text235,964 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Fundamentals1,678,359 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Mastery302,647 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Advanced392,295 Views
Illustrator CC 2013 One-on-One: Intermediate547,484 Views
Deke's Techniques1,567,617 Views