Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Smooth tool, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In the previous movie, we saw how we can use the Reshape tool inside of…Illustrator to turn straight lines into beautiful curves.…However, sometimes we struggle with getting our curves to look nice and clean.…In this movie, we are going to talk about another tool inside of Illustrator…called the Smooth tool.…And this allows us to kind of paint over paths and have those paths become…smooth curves as we do so.…So let's see how that works.…So I am going to kind of zoom in on Mister Zee…over here, on the back part of this curve that we try to create before that…really doesn't look that smooth.…
So zoom in just a little bit more over here and kind of center it on my screen.…I am going to select the path, underneath the Pencil tool. Right over here I see…and we are going to find the Smooth tool.…The Smooth tool basically works just like the Pencil tool, meaning you click…and drag with it, but as you click and drag over a path, Illustrator is now…going to go ahead and smooth that out.…Now it's important to realize that smoothing does not mean making fewer anchor…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland14h 53m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.