Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Using Simplify to create smooth paths, part of Illustrator: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
So we know that we can use the Smooth tool inside of Illustrator to kind of…paint or draw over a path to kind of smooth it out.…However, like we said before also it's not really the most efficient way if…you have a mouse and it can sometimes introduce additional anchor points to your path.…Well, let's talk about a different method on actually how we might be able to smooth paths.…More importantly, a way to smooth paths and also reduce the number of…anchor points in your artwork, so that it's more simple and easier to edit in the future.…There is a command inside of Illustrator called Simply. Its main goal is to…take a path that has a lot of anchor points and usually extraneous anchor…points, and reduce the number of anchor points so the path will be more…simplified and will print faster.…
However, when you sometimes reduce the anchor points, you also need to kind…of smooth out the path, and simplify actually works great for this kind of technique.…Let me zoom in over here on this file here. It's called Sketch5.ai, and I am…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator: Rethinking the Essentialswith Mordy Golding5h 7m Intermediate
Illustrator: Seeing Through Transparencywith Mordy Golding2h 50m Intermediate
Illustrator: Coloring Artwork (2011)with Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.