Join Mordy Golding for an in-depth discussion in this video Using the Shape Modes functions, part of Illustrator Insider Training: Drawing without the Pen Tool.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
In this movie, we are going to specifically focus on these top four functions…here at the top part of the Pathfinder panel,…under this section header called the Shape Modes.…In reality, what we are going to discuss in this movie are not going to be…Shape Modes at all.…That's something we are actually going to the discuss little bit later…inside this chapter.…But for now let's focus on what these four buttons here actually do.…As I have said before, the whole concept of Pathfinder is drawing with…math, meaning we take very basic shapes and that we combine those shapes…using mathematical functions like Add, Subtract and something called…Intersect and Exclude.…
In fact, these have some different words that also describe their use, for…example, instead of add, we could also say the word Unite, meaning it brings…multiple objects together or we could say Minus Front, meaning take the front…object and subtract it from the bottom object.…In fact, when we mouse over these buttons right here we can see little tooltip…
- Drawing artwork versus building artwork
- Sketching ideas on paper
- Creating curves with the Reshape tool
- Recording actions for speed and accuracy
- Working with the Pathfinder functions
- Understanding how Live Paint works
- Using the Shape Builder tool
- Building and coloring artwork at the same time
- Turning variable-width strokes into filled paths
- Adjusting the behavior of the Pencil tool
- Drawing with the Calligraphic brush
Skill Level Intermediate
Illustrator Insider Training: Coloring Artworkwith Mordy Golding4h 44m Intermediate
Illustrator CS5 One-on-One: Advancedwith Deke McClelland14h 53m Intermediate
1. Core Drawing Concepts
2. Workflow: Drawing Paths
3. Pathfinder: Drawing with Math
4. Live Paint: Changing the Rules
5. Shape Builder: Building Artwork
6. Adding Expression: Variable Widths
7. Drawing with a Tablet
Next steps1m 28s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.