Learn how to use the Pen tool.
- [Instructor] In this movie, we're going to talk…about how to use the pen tool…but first, I want to explain a little bit…about how Illustrator works.…When you use the pen tool in Illustrator,…what you're doing is plotting a series…of anchor points that are then connected by line segments.…So, for a straight line, it looks like this.…Anchor points with straight line segments in between…and for things like circles…or other curved items, it looks like this.…It's still called a line segment…even though it's got a curve on it.…We'll talk about how to create those in a minute.…
Now, every time you draw something…in Illstrator, it's a path,…and there are three different types…of paths we use in Illustrator.…There are open paths, those are paths…that start and end at different points.…They don't close and these are most often used…in the fashion industry for things like stitches…or some sort of gathers, wrinkles, things like that.…That are loose and not super critical to the design.…THey're more detail elements.…The next type of path we have is a closed path…
Robin Schneider—a fashion designer and Otis College of Art and Design instructor—teaches you how to easily master the Pen tool as she walks you through drawing shirts, pants, skirts, and blazers. Learn how to maximize the power of Illustrator with Pathfinder, organize layers for quick and easy editing, and create custom symbol libraries. Plus, get tips and tricks to increase productivity and learn to lay out your designs in presentation-worthy line sheets.
- What is a CAD flat?
- Drawing shapes
- Editing shapes: rotating and joining
- Setting up your workspace
- Using a template
- Drawing shirts and blazers
- Drawing skirts, trousers, and jeans
- Creating symbols for buttons
- Creating professional quality layouts
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop for Fashion Design: Rendering Techniqueswith Robin Schneider4h 52m Appropriate for all
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Light and Shadowwith Will Kemp1h 52m Intermediate
1. Getting Started: The Basics
2. Creating a Start File
3. Drawing a Basic T-Shirt
4. Drawing a Polo Shirt
5. Drawing a Button-Down Shirt
6. Drawing a Blazer
7. Drawing Pants
8. Drawing Skirts
9. Creating Symbols
10. Finishing Touches
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.