Learn how to use the Pathfinder and Shape Builder tools.
- [Instructor] In this movie, we're going…to talk about the Pathfinder.…Pathfinder and the Pen tool I think are the two…most important tools in Illustrator.…They really give us a lot of flexibility…and I want to show you how they work.…In Illustrator when using the Pathfinder tool,…you need to get your head around a different way of drawing.…If we were using a pencil to draw…a big fluffy cartoon cloud, we would just kind of…draw something like this.…Forgive my drawing, I'm doing this with a mouse.…But if we're going to do it on the computer in Illustrator,…all we need to do is draw a collection of ellipses.…
Grab the black arrow and select the entire group of ellipses…and then we can open the Pathfinder tool.…You can find the Pathfinder tool under the window dropdown.…It's down here near the bottom and it's called Pathfinder.…You'll notice there are 10 different icons here…but we're only going to focus on three of them.…The first one is Pathfinder Unite.…If we click this tool, it unites all the ellipses together…
Robin Schneider—a fashion designer and Otis College of Art and Design instructor—teaches you how to easily master the Pen tool as she walks you through drawing shirts, pants, skirts, and blazers. Learn how to maximize the power of Illustrator with Pathfinder, organize layers for quick and easy editing, and create custom symbol libraries. Plus, get tips and tricks to increase productivity and learn to lay out your designs in presentation-worthy line sheets.
- What is a CAD flat?
- Drawing shapes
- Editing shapes: rotating and joining
- Setting up your workspace
- Using a template
- Drawing shirts and blazers
- Drawing skirts, trousers, and jeans
- Creating symbols for buttons
- Creating professional quality layouts
Skill Level Beginner
Photoshop for Fashion Design: Rendering Techniqueswith Robin Schneider4h 52m Appropriate for all
Illustrator for Fashion Design: Creating Brusheswith Robin Schneider2h 40m Intermediate
Drawing Foundations: Light and Shadowwith Will Kemp1h 52m Intermediate
1. Getting Started: The Basics
2. Creating a Start File
3. Drawing a Basic T-Shirt
4. Drawing a Polo Shirt
5. Drawing a Button-Down Shirt
6. Drawing a Blazer
7. Drawing Pants
8. Drawing Skirts
9. Creating Symbols
10. Finishing Touches
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.